Contributed by Spice Zi Kitchen for The Slow Press Cooking Club
1 CINNAMON STICK
1 STAR ANISE
1/2 stalk of LEMONGRASS
3 PANDAN, knotted together
2 RED ONIONS, sliced thinly
2 TOMATOES, quartered
2 CHILI PADI, depending on how spicy you want it
2 WHITE CARROTS (small, should not be longer than 4cm or be very fat)
2 TAU KWA
1 BUNCH long beans
2 packs TEMPEH (if buying from a wet market, buy 2 packets wrapped in brown paper and simpoh ayer leaf)
MUTTON STOCK, MUTTON BONES & PIECES
1 1/2 tbsp GINGER GARLIC PASTE
1 tbsp LENGKUAS & BUAH KERAS
3 tbsp KURMA CURRY POWDER
1/2 tsp TURMERIC
2 tbsp ALMOND CASHEW PASTE
1 tbsp COCONUT MILK
All the different kinds of pastes can be bought from an Indian grocer or at a local Fairprice. If you'd like to have a go yourself, you can do the following:
1. Garlic ginger paste - using a food processor or pestle & mortar, grind a 3-inch knob of ginger and 5 garlic cloves until they form a smooth paste.
2. Lengkuas and buah keras (galangal and candlenut) - using a food processor, grind 3 kobs of galangal and 3 candlenuts until they form a smooth paste.
3. Almond and cashew paste - using a food proecssor or pestle & mortar, grind 10 raw cashews and 5 raw almonds until they form a smooth paste.
Kurma curry powder
You can get buy Babas or House brand from any local spice stall at your wet market.
1. Split and deseed the green chillis.
2. Boil the tomatoes and gently peel the skin off, then dice.
3. Blend the laksa leaf, basil leaf, culantro, onions, garlic and ginger using a food processor. (If you don’t have one, you can chop the ingredients finely instead.)
4. Pour the diced tomatoes and the blended mix onto the chicken.
5. Add 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of 5 spice powder, and 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
6. Mix well.
1. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a deep frying pan.
2. Add your seasoned chicken in and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water.
5. Cover lid and leave to cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.
6. After 25 minutes, add green chillis and basil leaves.
7. Add another 1 tablespoon of 5 spice powder.
8. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and serve with rice.