Grandpa’s Teochew Style Giam Chye Ah Tng
Contributed by Caleb Ang for The Slow Press Vol. 4
4 to 5 bulbs GARLIC
5g WHOLE WHITE PEPPERCORNS
4 to 5 CHINESE SALTED PLUMS
(adjust according to taste)
1000g SALTED VEGETABLE (salted mustard greens)
1 WHOLE FRESH DUCK (1000-2000g)
4 LARGE RED TOMATOES
400-500g PORK BELLY (whole)
1. Cut the salted vegetable into huge chunks and soak them in water (do not wash).
2. Wash garlic bulbs and tomatoes and cut tomatoes into eighths.
3. Cut pork belly into about 10pcs and put into a pot of water and bring to a boil. Remove from water and set aside.
4. Remove head from duck and fats from the cavity near the rear. Cut the duck up into parts (neck, wings, breast, thighs, drumsticks, and bones).
5. Place duck, pork belly, salted vegetable (drained), garlic bulbs and white peppercorns into a big pot. Fill the pot with water till it covers the ingredients and bring to boil, then lower to a simmer. Occasionally skim the scum off the top of the soup and add water to maintain the level. DO NOT remove the fats!!!
6. After 1.5 hours, mash up the Chinese salted plums and add them into the soup with the tomatoes and boil for another 30 minutes. Adjust the taste with more salted plums to your liking.
7. Dish it up! Remember to give the soup a good stir before pouring it into the bowl to distribute the fat equally. The fat is an integral part of the soup as it maintains the temperature of the dish and also adds a lot of great flavours! Enjoy!