Kachin Chicken Curry
Contributed by Irene Cheong for The Slow Press Vol. 3
800g CHICKEN THIGH
1 LAKSA LEAF
1 BASIL LEAF
5 CLOVES OF GARLIC
1 INCH-LONG PIECE OF GINGER
2 RED ONIONS
5 GREEN CHILIS
PINCH OF KACHIN 5 SPICE POWDER / PEPPERCORN POWDER
1 tsp SALT
1 tbsp TAMARIND PASTE
1 tbsp TURMERIC POWDER
1. Split and deseed the green chillis.
2. Boil the tomatoes and gently peel the skin off, then dice.
3. Blend the laksa leaf, basil leaf, culantro, onions, garlic and ginger using a food processor. (If you don’t have one, you can chop the ingredients finely instead.)
4. Pour the diced tomatoes and the blended mix onto the chicken.
5. Add 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of 5 spice powder, and 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
6. Mix well.
1. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a deep frying pan.
2. Add your seasoned chicken in and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water.
5. Cover lid and leave to cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.
6. After 25 minutes, add green chillis and basil leaves.
7. Add another 1 tablespoon of 5 spice powder.
8. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and serve with rice.